Mrs. Farmer-Harvin started her first tutoring program in 1991 and founded SchoolRoom Professional Tutors Learning Center in 1994. Mrs. Farmer-Harvin’s vision was to provide individualized tutoring to students who required one-to-one, explicit and intensive instruction. One-on-one, individualized intensive intervention is not cost effective for most school districts, especially large, urban districts. One-to-one, individualized or even small group intervention is challenging for classroom teachers and intervention specialists, as educators can have from 18 to 32 students in their classes, while intervention specialists may have up to 15 students in a resource learning class. Even a small group format can range from 6 to 8 students.
The student with serious reading and learning difficulties who has struggled with reading may have become frustrated because they do not feel successful in school—in any core subject. These older students (even at the 4th grade level and older) need personal, intensive intervention to increase their extremely low grades and build their confidence. Older students with specific reading disorders and learning disabilities may have limited background knowledge. The cause for concern is their ever widening gap in learning achievement because they have struggled in each learning environment, experiencing frustration and embarrassment from grade-to-grade. Negative emotions connected to reading and the reading process result in limited wide reading experiences which is required acquire background knowledge. Reduced reading experiences and a lack of motivation to read means that your child’s opportunities to “read to learn” and “learn from reading” are hindered.
We want to help students to feel confident by providing specialized intervention that is designed specifically to your child’s abilities: while increasing reading skills; closing the learning gap; and preparing her or him for district and state mandated tests, as well as college tests.
We provide Premiere Adaptive©, Sequential© and Prescriptive© Courses which support all of our Intensive Intervention Options.
We also offer over 125 Content and Elective Early, Middle and High School Online courses which support GiftedApples Intervention Programs
GiftedApples offers 10 Reading & Math Intensive Intervention Options for Early Learners and Students in Later Grades, 4-12
- Phonemic Awareness for Emergent and Alphabetic Stage Learners
- Phonics and Orthographic Instruction for Letter-Name Readers
- Developing Readers from Within-Word Stage through Fluent Decoding
- Specific Instruction for Dyslexia and Specific Reading Disabilities
- Auditory Training for Phonological Processing Disorders
- Multisensory -Visual, Kinesthetic and Tactile Reading & Math Intervention
- Comprehension Development in Word Study and Vocabulary Instruction
- Comprehension of Text and Reading Fluency
- Articulation, Misarticulation and Speech Instruction
- Direct Intervention and Instruction in Early Numeracy
- Developing Number Knowledge for Grades 2-11
- Direct Instruction in Basic Mathematics, Geometry, PreAlgebra and Algebra
- Concepts of Mathematics and Math Thinking for Solving PreCalculus, Calculus
- 3rd Grade Reading Guarantee Test Prep
- General Education Development Test Instruction (G.E.D.)
Reading leads to success in every aspect of life.
Your child deserves to become…
- Successful in school classes
- Successful in their college academics
- Successful in their career options
“Your Child Deserves to Read”
WE TEACH STUDENTS TO READ TO LEARN
Sincerely in Reading,
Loretta J. Farmer-Harvin, Principal